I know, I know...I've been away for a few days. Sorry to disappoint my loyal following of three...maybe four people.But for you few that are 'loyal' A.K.A 'insane,' go seek help. Immediately! And please medicate.....heavily. :)
Today's bone that I am picking (with all parents) is that competitive and self imposed obligatory need to host the most amazing, over-the-top, EXTRAVAGANT kids birthday party.....EVER!!!....year after year, after year. From ballon artist, to Disney & Nickelodeon characters, to indoor bouce houses and mobile arcade RVs, to petting zoo's and princess makeovers, to week long Disney trips & Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutiques [yeah, say that 10X fast]...
WHERE DOES IT END.........HOW MUCH WILL WE SPEND?
Now, I'm not going to play Mr. Innocent here. I am very guilty of quite a few luxuries listed above and I know, these are just the luxuries of the po' folk! I'm not even getting into the whole "MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen" type parties. That's a whole other subject and blog entry for another day.
I mean, for real...why do we do that?
I'll tell you why. It's because we tell ourselves that we want the best for our kids. We justify it by saying "we're getting a deal because if you spend X amount of dollars, they kick in a free cake." Whoop Dee FREAKING DOO!!! But we buy into it so that we have a "no way I could have turned down that deal" excuse to justify "the best for my kid" promise that we made to ourselves. But honestly, is that really the "best" thing for our kids....or our budget?
Gone are the days of throwing a BBQ in the backyard with some party games and a pinata with some 'very close calls.' Now don't get me wrong, the parties with all the 'extras' usually turn out real nice & the kids have alot of fun. But if a kid can have just as much fun with the 'old school classic' parties, then why do we go overboard? Is it really for the kids, or is it to just 'one up' the last parent that went overboard?
Anyways, I'm off. I gotta go meet with Hannah Montana's agent to see how much she charges for a 30 minute appearance.
BEAT THAT PARENTS!!!
HA!
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I don't know why we do it. It is crazy. I just wonder what kind of adults our kids will be.
Some of us do it because we never had it growing up and others do it to go one up on the Jones' eve though they are broke @$$!
Post a Comment